Are you finding it difficult to clean up your Mac desktop because you have so many screenshots? In this article, we’ll give you easy steps on how to delete screenshots on Mac.
Whether you’re a computer pro or new to Mac, these tips will help keep your computer running smoothly and things clean. Let’s start by opening the Screenshot app on MacOS.
How to Open MacOS built-in Screenshot App?
macOS comes equipped with a versatile built-in Screenshot app that offers a range of capture options for users. This powerful tool allows you to capture screenshots of your entire screen, specific windows, or custom-selected areas. With an array of editing features, the Screenshot app on macOS ensures that you can annotate and enhance your captures before sharing them.
To open the Screenshot app, simply press “⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift + 5” on your keyboard. This keyboard shortcut works seamlessly on macOS Mojave and later versions.
Once activated, the Screenshot app’s interface will appear, offering you a variety of capture and recording options, along with access to your screenshots and screen recordings library. It’s a user-friendly and efficient way to manage your screen capture needs directly within macOS.
How to Take Screenshots on Mac Using Shortcuts?
Before delving deeper into the process of deleting screenshots on your Mac, it is important to understand how to efficiently capture screenshots on your Mac. Follow the steps below to learn the art of capturing a screenshot on your Mac, whether you’re preserving a moment, highlighting an image, or sharing essential information.
1. Whole Screen: To capture the entire screen on your Mac, simultaneously press `⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift + 3`. This quick keyboard shortcut instantly takes a screenshot and saves it directly to your desktop. It’s perfect for preserving the entire screen or sharing what’s currently displayed.
2. Selected Area: Press `⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift + 4`, then drag your cursor to select the specific area you want to capture. Releasing the mouse button will capture the chosen region, saving it as a screenshot on your desktop. This method offers precise control over what you capture, great for highlighting specific content.
3. Active Window: If you only want to capture the active window on your Mac, press `⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift + 4`, then hit the `Spacebar`. This turns your cursor into a camera icon. Click on the window you wish to capture, and the screenshot of that specific window will be saved to your desktop. This method ensures you only capture the content you need, without any surrounding clutter.
How to Take Screenshots Of Mac’s Touch Bar?
To capture a screenshot on a Mac equipped with a Touch Bar, it’s a straightforward process. Simply press `⌘ Command + ⇧ Shift + 6`, and the Mac will automatically take a screenshot of the Touch Bar’s current state.
This key combination is quick and efficient, making it easy to grab images of the dynamic Touch Bar’s contents for reference, documentation, or sharing.
Once the screenshot is taken, it’s saved as a file on your desktop, following the naming convention “Touch Bar Shot YYYY-MM-DD at HH.MM.SS AM/PM.”
You can then easily access and use the captured image as needed, whether it’s for personal use or for work-related tasks.
How To Edit Screenshots on Mac?
Once you’ve captured a screenshot using the keyboard shortcuts or the Screenshot app, a thumbnail of the screenshot appears in the bottom-right corner of the screen. Click on it to open the screenshot in the Markup tool.
Here, you can crop, annotate, highlight, add text, shapes, and even your signature. It’s a versatile tool for making quick edits to your screenshots.
Additionally, you can open screenshots in other image editing applications like “Adobe Photoshop” for more advanced editing options.
To do this, simply locate the screenshot file on your desktop or the folder where it’s saved, right-click, and choose “Open With” to select your preferred image editing software. This gives you the flexibility to perform more intricate adjustments to your screenshots.
Wondering How To Delete A YouTube Channel On IPhone In 2023? Explore our guide for step-by-step instructions. And, if you need tips on managing Mac screenshots, Read below on ‘How to Delete Screenshots on Mac’.
How to Delete Screenshots on Mac
Managing your Mac’s screenshot collection is essential for maintaining a clutter-free digital workspace and freeing up valuable storage space. To achieve this, follow these steps:
1. Locate Your Screenshots: By default, your Mac saves screenshots to the desktop, ensuring easy access. If you’re uncertain about their location, check the “Desktop” folder within your user directory to find them.
2. Select the Screenshots: Click and drag your cursor over the screenshots you wish to delete. Holding down the Shift key allows you to select multiple screenshots simultaneously, streamlining the process.
3. Move to Trash: After selecting your screenshots, right-click on any one of them and choose “Move to Trash” from the context menu. Alternatively, you can drag and drop them onto the Trash icon located in your Dock.
4. Empty the Trash: To permanently remove the screenshots and reclaim storage space, right-click on the Trash icon in your Dock and select “Empty Trash.” This action permanently deletes the selected items.
5. Confirm Deletion: macOS will prompt you to confirm the deletion of the items in the Trash. Confirm your choice, and the screenshots will be permanently erased from your system.
Note: If you want to delete manually, start by selecting the file(s) you want to remove, then press the “⌘Command + Delete” buttons simultaneously on your keyboard.
How much space do screenshots take up on Mac?
The space screenshots occupy depends on several factors. On a Mac, they are typically saved in PNG format and can range from a few kilobytes for basic captures to a few megabytes for high-resolution images.
The exact size depends on screen dimensions, image complexity, and any editing or annotations applied. Regularly managing and deleting unnecessary screenshots can help free up storage space on your device.
Learn the easiest ways to take screenshots on your iPhone 7 in this guide: How To Take A Screenshot On IPhone 7 (Easy Ways)
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are screenshots stored on Mac?
Screenshots taken on a Mac are typically stored on the desktop by default. They appear as files with names like “Screen Shot [date] at [time].png”.
Can I delay Screenshots on Mac?
Yes, you can add a delay to your screenshots. Open the Screenshot app (Shift-Command-5) and click “Options” to set a timer before the screenshot is taken.
Can I change the default Screenshot Location on Mac?
Screenshots are usually saved on the desktop by default, but you can change this location. Use the `defaults write` command in Terminal to set a different location.
How to change the Screenshot File Name on Mac?
Screenshots are saved with filenames like “Screen Shot YYYY-MM-DD at HH.MM.SS AM/PM.” You can rename them easily by selecting the file and hitting the ‘Enter’ key.
Managing and deleting screenshots on your Mac is a simple yet crucial task for maintaining an organized digital workspace and optimizing storage. By following the straightforward steps outlined in this guide, you can efficiently declutter your desktop, free up valuable space, and ensure your Mac operates smoothly. Don’t let unwanted screenshots bog down your computer; take control and enjoy a more streamlined Mac experience.